Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I feel like my mouth is super dry and it hurts when I

Customer Question

i feel like my mouth is super dry and it hurts when I swallow
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Your dry mouth and pain during swalowing could be due to a reduced salivary flow. Dryness of the mouth, what we call xerostomia, is not uncommon at your age and in your gender.

There are various causes for xerostomia, the most common being a side effect of other medicines. Other common causes are infections of the salivary glands and radiation therapy.

For accurate diagnosis of xerostomia, your salivary flow rate needs to be measured.If found low, there are many ways by which salivary secretion can be stimulated.

When the saliva flow is restored to normal; the dryness and the soreness will disappear. I suggest you visit the Oral Medicine department of the dental school nearest to you for the treatment of dry mouth.

I am not in a position to prescribe you specific medications, without performing a physical examination and getting your salivary flow rates.What I can advise you for the time being, is to chew on sugar-free gum to stimulate your salivary glands to secrete more saliva.

Also, visit this resource:
http://www.biotene.com/ for some great products that will help you taste better and swallow more easily.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Hello Maria,

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere