Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

One my very back teeth has been hurting on and off for bout

Customer Question

Hi one my very back teeth has been hurting on and off for bout 2 weeks now but the last two days it's changed to now I can't even touch my tooth it hurts to much I can't eat or anything. It's slights wobbly... I'm petrified of the dentist what should I do
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Most people are petrified of the dentist . I am too.The good news is that today we have many mechanisms to remove pain and perform dental work comfortably or even while you are asleep.It sounds as if you have an abscessed tooth or an infected tooth.There are two options when this occurs.Extraction or root canal therapy.It will be important at this point to find an experienced dentist and get an exam and X-ray.They will give you your options and prescribe an antibiotic and some pain medicine.The Emergency room will not treat dental problems so the dentist I am afraid is your only option.In the meantime,rinsing with some warm salt water and taking ibuprofen 400 mg every four hours and alternating with tylenol 1000 mg every four hours is your best bet for some more immediate relief.Most oral surgeons can extract a tooth while you are sleeping so there is no pain involved.