Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have porcelain veneers on my two front teeth but I have

Customer Question

Hello, I have porcelain veneers on my two front teeth but I have started whitening my teeth. My natural but damaged teeth are still underneath them and I can still see them threw the veneers. When I whiten my teeth, all my teeth are sore as usual, even the teeth under the veneers. My question is, is it possible for the tooth enamel underneath the porcelain to whiten? Since they are sore like the rest of my teeth, I'm hopeful that's a good sign and it is yes. Thanks.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

The problem is that when you have veneers,a good portion of the enamel is removed to allow space for the porcelain.The veneer is bonded directly to the underlying dentin and enamel so that it is covered completely not allowing any whitening material or anything else to come in contact with that bonded surface.If things were allowed to contact that surface,your tooth would decay under the veneer.The sensitivity that you are feeling may be coming from the whitening material contacting the palatal side of the tooth.This part of the tooth,that is not covered by the veneer can still be whitened.Veneers only cover the lip side of the tooth.To answer your question,the whitening material will not effect the lip side of the tooth under the veneer but it will effect the palatal side.Does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

If the veneers were done properly,you should not see any of the tooth through the veneers.A better restoration that does not fade and will protect the tooth for decades would be a crown.They are a little more expensive than a veneer but do not look bulky,give a better appearance and will actually protect the tooth.Veneers offer no real protection for the tooth and have been known to fracture and fail.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

I am going to sign off for the night. I will look for any further questions that you have in the morning.The bottom line is that the whitening material must come in direct contact with the tooth surface to cause any change in appearance so the veneer prevents the outside surface from being affected.If you have no further questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?