Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

I had root canal 1 month ago and since day one I have Abe's

Customer Question

Hi I had root canal 1 month ago and since day one I have Abe's in tooth now spread to gums .just finished z pac antibiotic still in pain dr left tooth open to drain every week I go back and he cleans out but it's getting worse is it time to pull this tooth ??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 month ago.
Hi, thanks for posting your question today.
Rather than just pull the tooth I suggest that you ask for a referral to an Endodontist who should be able to help you or will tell you whether the tooth can be saved and what needs to be done to in order to retain your tooth. If it is not saveable you will know for sure that extraction is your only choice. Z-Pak is not the best choice for dental infections and you should have been given either Amoxicillin or Clindamycin which are the drugs of choice for dental infections. Does all this make sense to you? If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply . Do to think an absess can go away after 6 weeks and u just finished taking z pac should I go back to amoxicillin tomorrow and shouldn't the dentist wait fir infection to go away begire he goes in the tooth again he's been cleaning out this root canal for 6 weeks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took Advil and Tylenol 3 and still have pain in tooth and gum above tooth I had root canal once before and dentist did it one shot this guy keeps going in there and cleaning it's been 6 weeks now and every time I leave it feels worse what should be done now more antibiotics I've been on them for almost a month
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, you are correct to assume that "this guy" does not have the experience required to handle your problem. Antibiotics will NOT solve your problem and staying on antibiotics for a month is not the answer. It is a technical issue and not a bacterial issue that is required to finish your treatment. This is why I suggested you see an Endodontist who can deliver the proper treatment required to save your tooth. I have been an Endodontist for more than 45 years and most root canals can be and are done in one visit. Especially when the dentist doing them understands what needs to be done in order to a accomplish this.
If you just call an Endodontist you will be very happy you did. Your current dentist does not understand how to treat more complicated endodontics issues. It is quite obvious to me after reading your description. If you still want a phone call I would be happy to call you but why spend the extra dollars when all you need to do is visit the proper specialist which in your case is the Endodontist. Hope this helps. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Hi Samantha, did you need more information or do you still want a phone call?