Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

Just came from dentist. Been having horrible pain in jaw.

Customer Question

Just came from dentist. Been having horrible pain in jaw. xray showed infection of wisdom tooth and outside in jaw area. Gave me zpack. Will start taking it in one hour once its filled. but dentist scared me saying infection outside body and it can kill me!!!! I already have anxiety issues so this didnt help..tomorrow see surgeoon...
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw? Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Yes lots of jaw pain to ear and at times to head right side..heat and ibuprofin help but little..although today is slightly better than yesterday but horrible pain..second day
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Just came from dentist. Been having horrible pain in jaw. xray showed infection of wisdom tooth and outside in jaw area. Gave me zpack. Will start taking it in one hour once its filled. but dentist scared me saying infection outside body and it can kill me!!!! I already have anxiety issues so this didnt help..tomorrow see surgeoon...
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this information. From an x-ray, one can more clearly see things obviously. But infection around or near a wisdom tooth, is often not specifically located to just the tooth, but almost always also extending to the surrounding areas! NOT "outside of the body", but outside of the wisdom tooth into the adjacent soft tissue and bony jaw areas - but this is "typical", and you should NOT be worried.

One more thing, you "WILL NOT BE DYING" from this wisdom tooth!!! But, it sounds like you should likely be having it extracted, either by the Dentist whom you chose or an Oral Surgeon.

I've extracted thousand of them - YOU WILL BE FINE - I promise!!!

Dr. Rampton

*Please feel free to ask any follow up - should you have such - OK?

Do you have any further questions or concerns?

The Dentist hopefully also prescribed some pain medication, in addition to the Z-pack.

Are you able to get pain medication for relief?