Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

Crown broke off at gum line, no pain, other than a dental

Customer Question

crown broke off at gum line, no pain, other than a dental implant what options do I have?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no pain at all, no swelling Im fine
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Crown which was on 5th tooth in upper jaw fell out and dentist said it is not repairable, suggeting removing tooth, and dental implant. Would like to know what other dental options are available, do not wish implant
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 3 months ago.

Well, the dental implant is usually suggested as a number one option because it allows you to have a restored tooth that functions almost identically to the original tooth. Another option would be to have a fixed bridge completed. The bridge option would require preparation of the teeth next door to the missing tooth (they become crowns-known as abutments). The fixed bridge is a good option for insurance coverage and functionality, but it does require more hygiene as food debris can become lodge underneath and needs to be taken care of more diligently. You could always get a second opinion as well, from a dentist that may other crownlengthening as an option. The only way that work is if there is enough root length. This is done as much, and since this tooth is closer to esthetic smile zone it might not be an option at all. You could always remove the tooth and just have a "flipper" as a temporary solution as well while you decide what you want to more permanently do for the space. A flipper is just like a retainer with a tooth attached on it, it fills the space to help prevent the teeth from shifting. Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you

If you need more specifics, if you decide towards an implant or a bridge I can give you more info on the types of materials out there for abutments and crown types if you need that info. Don't feel rushed to make a decision, but either option of implant or bridge are great options. Dr. Hegland