Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I have had a bad toothache, about a week ago my left side of

Customer Question

I have had a bad toothache, about a week ago my left side of my bot***** *****p has gone numb along with left side of chin. what causes it?
JA: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: pain fluctuates, but numbness has been there for a week
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: my lower left side of my lip and chin are numb, but my gum on that side in not. I can still feel the pain of toothache. The numbness is constant and bothers me too. I have a history of getting numbness in different parts of my body over the last 24 years, but have not been diagnosed with anything.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 8 months ago.

Hi, first of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having both a bad toothache and numbness. There could be a couple things that are happening, one you have an abscessed tooth in the area of the mental nerve and the abscess has in some form damaged or irritated that nerve enough the mental nerve distribution has severe neuralgia. There is also the possibility that you have developed a cyst or lesion of some kind that has affected the mental nerve and secondarily is referring pain to that tooth. Another possibility is that you have some systemic issue (based on your history that you've have a history of getting numbness in parts of your body) and with that I would definitely want you to consult your medical physician and look to determine or exclude differential diagnoses like MS. Option one of a periapical lesion affecting the nerve would be the most common scenario, but the way to determine for sure will be to get it xrayed by your dentist. Does that answer your question?