Edward Magida
Edward Magida,
Experience:  owner/dentist at Newtown Dental Care
95401246

I have had a pain in/near my upper pre-molar for a few

Customer Question

i have had a pain in/near my upper pre-molar for a few months. It is getting worse. Dentist said there was a cavity and due to the tooth being so close to the sinus and the cavity being very big he performed a root canal. This did not alleviate any of the pain. He tested the tooth and the root canal was a success. No pain coming from the tooth itself. So where is the pain coming from. Its a nagging throbbing constant pain.
JA: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: used to fluctuate a few months ago but now it has gotten to the point of being constant
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: it feels like it might be coming from the gum but there is no lump or abscess or anything wrong with the gum that we can tell
Category: Dental
Expert:  Edward Magida replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Thanks for asking your question. I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem. When you said "he tested the tooth" and determined the root canal was a success, what did you mean? What was done to test the tooth? Can you get an xray of this area? Do you have other teeth in the area? Dr Magida

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he had me bite down on a plastic thing multiple times and he tapped the tooth and then took additional x rays and there was no pain when I bit down or tapped it.

So, just so I am clear about things, you had a pain in an area and it was determined that a tooth with a deep cavity needed to have the nerve removed. However, upon removal of the supposedly bad nerve, the pain did not stop?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a constant throbbing.

Sorry for delay.. can you get an xray of the area? If there are other teeth in the area did the dentist "test" them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the other teeth in the area are fine and healthy

Throbbing is usually an indication of an infection in a tooth. If your dentist cannot find where it is coming from than in this situation I would have you go to a root canal specialist who has one of the new 3-Dimensional xray machines. These 3D xrays show infections and fractures and the like way better than the conventional 2 dimensional xrays. There could be another infection or a fracture in a tooth that is causing your pain. If your dentist cannot find it please go to an "endodontist" who is a dentist that specializes in just root canal procedures.

If you have no further questions would you please rate my answers to you? Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i did go to an endodontist- he was the one that actually did the root canal. No cracks in teeth or infection, although I did take antibiotic as a precaution. There was no relief from the pain.

Did he use 3D xrays? What did he say when you told him there was still throbbing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he said that due to the fact that he can't see anything wrong with the tooth and its proximity to my sinus I should see an ENT. I have an apt tomorrow.

Ok, that was where I was going to suggest next. If there is something going on in the sinus, at least you are headed to the correct doctor. I hope the ENT is able to pinpoint the cause of your problem. Good luck. Dr Magida

Was wondering if you would rate session. Thanks

Was wondering if you still need help with this?