Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

I had an implant put in 8 years ago. About two years ago,

Customer Question

I had an implant put in 8 years ago. About two years ago, the gum receeded, to a level of 5, but has not gotten worse. However, every once in a while I put peroxide in there and it seems to calm down. I am looking at laser process to kill the bacteria. My dentist wants to remove the implant and just give me a bridge. He says the bone has gone away. Any comments? Suggestions?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Implants are not without their complications.This type of thing happens especially in patients with periodontal disease.The decision to remove the implant is normally based on how much supporting bone still remains,how much inflammation exists and mobility of the implant.I would need to see an X-ray of the area and the adjacent teeth to be able to give you an accurate answer on what you should do.Implants have been overused in the past several years and they are expensive.Bridges have the advantage of being cheaper,stronger,less invasive ,more esthetic and more reliable than any implant that I have seen.Laser treatment can be effective but research shows that lasers do not provide any better results than conventional methods.The advantage to the dentist is that he gets to charge you more for the treatment.It sounds like you have a case of peri-implantitis.If it is severe,than the choice to remove it would be the best option and let this area heal for at least 8 weeks before having a bridge placed.