Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 2 months ago.

Can you upload a picture of the lesion for me to look at? What particularly can I help explain for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That little dimple slightly grayish could it be cancer. Had oral surgeon look at it but said it was nothing to worry about. Been there about 8 months
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or what is it

Alright I looked at the pictures, and thank you for uploading good quality ones. One more thing, as you stated its more like a dimple? So the lesion isn't raised or above the surrounding tissue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not at all not rough
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Has changed in color or size in the 7-8 months I have noticed it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Has not changed

Well I agree with your oral surgeon in regards ***** ***** be concerned. Kudos to you to tracking it, and keeping an eye of it. If the lesion was to change size or color (especially white or red) I would be concerned and have the lesion biopsied to determine tissue character. However, it doesn't fit the typically parameters for concern with cancerous tissue. Since the lesion is in your buccal mucosa adjacent to the occlusal plane (in the cheek across from were teeth meet together when bitting), likely the initial injury to the cheek cause a injury to a blood vessel and the scar tissue turned grayish hue. Another more common scenario is that a secondary salivary mucosal gland was in that area that was traumatized. The mouth is full of these small salivary glands and sometimes they get plugged and can look blue/greyish. You may have inadvertently bit a small gland and the discoloration you see is glandular saliva under the surface. So wouldn't recommend doing anything at this time, but I would have your dentist measure the precise size of the lesion so that it can be tracked at your 6 month or annual dental appointments. Hopefully that answers your question.