Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

What kind of anesthetic can I use? I am allergic to

Customer Question

what kind of anesthetic can I use? I am allergic to benzoncaine, carbocaine, lidocaine, tetracaine, and xylocaine. I am also allergic to demerol, percodan and lanolin.
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: trying to help my dentist find a suitable anesthetic
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: what kind of anesthetic can I use? I am allergic to benzoncaine, carbocaine, lidocaine, tetracaine, and xylocaine. I am also allergic to demerol, percodan and lanolin.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 9 months ago.

Hello! That is a lot of anesthetic to be allergic to. What is your allergic response that happens with these? Has septocaine been tried? Or possibly seeing a sedation dentist??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I break out in hives and have had varying amounts of swelling. I also forgot to list penicillin and when I was on high blood pressure medicine, I couldn't take calcium channel blockers.

The first step I would recommend for you to do would be to make an appointment with an allergy specialist. That way the dr can test you for the types of anesthetic that cause significant reactions versus those that have more of a side effect and not a true allergy. The allergist is the only way to Safely determine what works for you. The allergist will be able to give your local dentist suggestions on what you can use for treatment. Also people that often are allergic to anesthetic are more appropriately allergic to the preservative within the anesthetic vial and not the actual anesthetic. The allergist would be aware of that possibility, but would be worth mentioning to that individual. Also, as I mentioned one could try prilocaine or septocaine or have your dentist use anesthetic without epinephrine in it. Does that answer your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would consider it, but since Obamacare took over my health insurance coverage is pitiful! It covers almost nothing including prescriptions (except birth control, which I don't need) until I pay about $6k out of pocket.
I surely hope they don't get their hooks into dental insurance!
I understand it's expensive to see those specialists, but if you were concerned about having a serious anaphylactic reaction that would be only way to know for sure. But do talk with your dentist because he may be able to special order a nonepi, non preservative formulation that would work for you. It depends on who his supplier is. The last thing I'd mention is make sure it's not a different dental material that's used during fillings that is causing your reaction. For instance, if you have a cleaning so you still get hives? I only suggest that because sometimes the pastes and cleaners used to prepare a tooth can cause reactions you describe. I'm sorry to hear that you have these sensitivities.