Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a bone coming through gums on cheek side above #2. I

Customer Question

I have a bone coming through gums on cheek side above #2. I had wisdom teeth pulled 20 years ago - is it bone or remnant of a wisdom tooth?
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: This started 3 months ago. Gums were bleeding and swollen. Dentists always told me just periodontitis. I knew it was more. Finally, bone has now pushed its way through the gums.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: any advices?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

It is possible for bone to be exposed even years later after extraction of wisdom teeth but this site is not one of the more common areas for this to happen.Is it possible to upload a picture of this area? Does it feel sharp to you? When was the last time that your teeth were cleaned?It is also possible that a portion of one of the roots was not removed and now is protruding through the gumline .If you have an X-ray of the area to upload,I could give you a better idea of what is going on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would take a picture but it so far back in the upper corner that I cant get a visual. The bone is sharp. I have had a few fragments come out but the large portion that remains is still implanted. My teeth are cleaned religiously. In facts 1 month ago I had root planning/scaling done to the area when the thought was I was only have periodontitis issues...Ugh...Frustrasted...
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If there is bone that is moving and sharp,it needs to be removed.Is it painful and or do you have any swelling in this area.I know it is a difficult area to photograph.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Very painful and swelling of the gums. I guess i better see a surgeon. What causes this?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If the fragments are small and have no distinctive shape,it is most likely bone.If there was apiece of root there,it would have a more distinct shape.In some people,the socket area may have been devoid of good solid bone and sometimes will heal and leave a ledge.Any type of pressure or trauma to that ledge ,even from chewing could cause fragments of it to break off.The first thing that I would do is to have them X-ray the area to see what is up there.The removal of bone fragments is simple and takes just a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If it is swollen and sore,it is certainly time to get to either an experienced dentist or oral surgeon the correct this.Again,an X-ray would help me give you some more accurate answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is a dentist able to remove the bone or do I need a maxillofacial surgeon? I guess I am not sure if the remaining piece is a large fragment or the actual bone.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok...I did have an x-ray and nothing stood out other than I have thick bones. I will run to a surgeon with my compliant. This should be treatable though - correct? THanks
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

I am sure that it is not too large. I am a general dentist and remove bone fragments all of the time.Going to a surgeon if you are not sure that the dentist has enough experience or not may save you a step.These are most of the time minor issues.I would be glad to look at the X-ray for you.Some people have bony protrusions in this area called tori.They can sometimes get irritated because the skin over them is thin and will expose bone.This I can only see with a picture or clinical exam.Either way it is not serious.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If you could please leave a rating,that would help us a lot.