Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

I have intense tooth pain, it's my front bottom tooth I feel

Customer Question

Hello, I have intense tooth pain, it's my front bottom tooth I feel the pain all over my tooth wen I tap it or touch it it hurts as well. I had an accident 17 yrs ago I had root canals done and I have 2 proclaim teeth can that me causing me pain after so long ?
JA: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It's constant it won't go away
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Watt kind of info
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Iam sorry I meant to type 2 porcelain teeth ...
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Without looking at the X rays of those two teeth (to see how the root canals were done), we can just speculate as to the cause of the pain. Root canals are blind procedures, and therefore carry a success rate of about 90-95%. What this means is, that in every 5-10 out of 100 cases, the root canal has to be done again.

The main reason for this is that some amount of pulp tissue that was supposed to be removed in the first attempt, gets left behind. This happens because teeth have a lot of variation in their anatomy, all of which cannot be seen on X rays.

The reasons for your pain could be :

1. Inadequate instrumentation (some amount of pulp tissue is still left , which can be the source of pain)

2. An entire root canal missed (not picked up on an X ray and hence not cleaned)

3. A broken instrument being left inside the root canal which forms a nidus for infection leading to failure of the root canal.

4. The root canal is not filled entirely, which leads to an incomplete seal at the apex of the root, from which leakage of microbial products occurs and thus infection.

Discuss all these possibilities with your dentist. Get X rays done.

For now, take anti inflammatory medication. Switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Dr. Behere