Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

I had a crown put on tooth number 19. The temp crown was too

Customer Question

I had a crown put on tooth number 19. The temp crown was too high and I was unusable to bite down or chew for over 2 weeks. A few days after the perm crown was placed I began experiencing pain in the tooth directly above the crown. I went back to the dentist. They said the tooth above was fine. The crown felt fine to me but they did a bite ajustment. Then they did x-rays and said there was an infection. They put me on antibiotics and referred me to the endo. Still in pain in the upper tooth and whole left side of my face including my ear. The endo checked my crown which was not sensitive to cold or touch and no pain and he also said there had been no infection. He said he a root canal might help but he wasn't sure so I could get a 2nd opinion, see a medical doctor or a neuragist. A had been to my primary two weeks prior for a physical so I went to a neuralogist. They looked at me like I was crazy. Needless to say it's not neurological. So back to the dentist for a root canal. After the root canal the tooth became painful, which I understand is to be expected but sensitive to temperature as well. This has gradually decreased over the past couple of days. However there is still some pain and my ear hurts. I'm not sure where to go from this point since the dentist and the endo have told me I am wasting their time. Please help.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

You seem to lie in the grey area of orofacial pain , what we term as Atypical Facial Pain or Atypical Odontalgia, which does not respond to any therapy, and for which no cause can be found.There is nothing wrong with the teeth or gums.

It can be provoked by dental treatment, underlying systemic disease or it may be brought on by stressful life events.

These different types of pain do no not respond to conventional treatment, like antibiotics and steroids. They require non conventional treatment like sedatives, anxiolytics, antidepressants, physical self regulation, cognitive behavior therapy etc.

I suggest you visit the Orofacial Pain/Oral Medicine department of the dental school nearest to you. A full assessment is required to eliminate any underlying cause. Screening tests should be carried out to exclude hematinic (blood) deficiencies and to rule out diabetes. If all this is negative, there might be an underlying psychogenic cause(anxiety).

I also urge you to try alternative pain relief methods like acupuncture and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy- includes relaxation and breathing techniques and positive re-enforcement of thought.

Sometimes such pain (if not related to teeth,gums) can be diagnosed in retrospect. That is, if you respond to certain type of medications, then the diagnosis can be confirmed.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Dr. Behere