Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

I just had a filling and on the way home I noticed a grey

Customer Question

I just had a filling and on the way home I noticed a grey lump of somthing in my mouth what was it did my filling fall out?
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: yes i just had a filling like 3 hours ago
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: well going home from the dentist I noticed a grey lump of somthing in my lip I belive it came off my tooth
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

If there is no hole in your tooth and you can feel no sharp edges like something is missing,it is quite possible that all you are feeling is a small amount of silver amalgam particles that may have fallen out of the carrier when the filling was placed.These small particles are harmless and it does not mean that your filling is gone.Tiny pieces like this sometimes lodge around the lip vestibule when the fillings is placed .They are more or less crumbs of filling material and will cause no harm.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

If this piece looks more like a small crumb and has no distinct shape,it is just a fragment of filling material that was left after carving and shaping the filling.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

I am going to be on the road for a bit.If you have more questions I will respond as soon as I return home.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Is there any other information that you need?