Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

I have two lumps in my gums beneath a molar. Is it abscess?

Customer Question

I have two lumps in my gums beneath a molar.
I have terrible teeth, no insurance, and a total fear of dentists. My teeth have felt misaligned for a few months on the side where the lumps are. No looseness in the teeth, but pain on and off when chewing and if I clench my jaw, which I do constantly, I can feel that the teeth on the side with the lumps will meet, but the other side of my mouth will not. I think they are abscesses?
I experience occasional bleeding. Flossing hurts. I know I need actual dental care, but its cost prohibitive. I realize long term, it may be worse, but poverty rules when you fall through the cracks of Obamacare.
Additional Information:
I have cracked teeth because I think I have had wisdom teeth that probably should have been removed and caused crowding in the back of my gums.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Yes, from your description and history, the lumps are most likely abcesses. You need antibiotics, X rays and dental treatment as soon as possible.

I understand that you would be interested in affordable dental treatment at the moment. Let me suggest a few alternatives to you :

1. Try to contact the local dental society in your area and see if there are any charitable organizations or foundations that will do your treatment for a reduced fee.

You can find the contact information of your local dental society by visiting :

2. Consider getting treatment from a dental school near you . The charges are lesser than those charged by a private practioner.

Here is a link with the list of all the dental schools in the USA:

3. Here is a website that lists dental offices that offer free and discounted clinics all across the country. Search for one in your area. Read each listing carefully as restrictions apply to some of the listed outlets.

4. One other option is to apply for CareCredit financing; their relaxed credit requirements facilitate payments for dental service that might otherwise not fit comfortably into your budget. You can refer to the CareCredit web site, which also has a directory for participating dentists. See:

I hope one of these options work out for you !

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Good Luck !

Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help?

If you have any further question, do write back!

Dr. Behere