Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

A couple weeks ago i had a crown placed but i been feeling a

Customer Question

A couple weeks ago i had a crown placed but i been feeling a strange smell when I floss around the area and sensitivity as well. I also notice that the floss goes almost toward the middle of the tooth. Could be that the crown is leaking? Had the same issues with previous crowns
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Last week, since he did a filling in the top tooth if the crown. But the sensitivity of the crown I noticed that today when I drink something cold and the smell I just noticed tonight
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Well, that's my concern if the crown may be leaking and if that can be fix without replacing it for a new one since I just got it 3 weeks ago. I always have issues with dentist being able to fit the crowns properly. It is always almost 5 to 6 visits!! Not swelling in the gums, lining of the crown a little dark
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, from your description it appears that you may have some periodontal or gum related issues between your teeth. If the floss passes easily between your teeth then the contact between the teeth is not tight enough and you will develop gum problems because food will pack between your teeth rather than be pushed to the outside of the teeth (away from the gums). This needs to be rechecked by your dentist to be sure that the crown has enough contact and that the margins or edges of the crown that meet your tooth are sealed properly. You should also get a water pik device that will help clean the spaces between your teeth clean and that will help with the smell you are now experiencing. Just be sure to use the water pik every evening before going to sleep so that there will be nothing left in between your teeth over night because the debris left behind will ferment and cause odors as well as decay and gum problems. If you always have issues having the crowns made properly then you may want to consider another dentist because it should not take 5-6 visits to make a crown fit correctly. Sensitivity to cold with a new crown is not unusual and this should resolve on its own in time. If your gums are sensitive then that could also contribute to your temperature sensitivity.

Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?