Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I've got a abscess front top tooth. It has had a root canel

Customer Question

I've got a abscess front top tooth. It has had a root canel and a crown. Can't get in to see a dentist till in the morning... What can I do to relieve pain tonight and will I have to have another root canal?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Yes it's very swollen and hurts really bad. It's been a while ... Over a year.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: What information do you need. I have a very swollen ball in the back of my front tooth. I hurt all the way up my nose and hard to talk because my tongue hit it and can't shut my teeth together because my bottom teeth hits it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, sorry you are in so much discomfort with this issue.

First you should call your dentist and have them call in a prescription for an antibiotic. Amoxicillin (Penicillin) or Clindamycin are the drugs of choice for dental infections. You should also begin using warm salt water rinses : you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

After your examination including an Xray your dentist will be able to let you know if a retreatment of the root canal is possible and which method should be used to correct the problem. So please do call your dentist ASAP and get an Rx for an antibiotic. Hope this helps.

If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

I would also recommend that you elevate your head when sleeping tonight. Hopefully everything will go well for you this evening and on Thursday your dentist should be able to help you further.

Hi, did you need more information?