Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

I think a filling has just fallen out. No pain, but I am off

Customer Question

Hello, I think a filling has just fallen out. No pain, but I am off on holiday tomorrow. Awful timing. I am currently no where near my current dental practice. I have a picture of it i can send. I have tried a use a temporary filling repair kit, but it is not sticking.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, you are right it is awful timing.

To upload a photo:

You can use this link for instructions: ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like:, and then send me the link.

Hi, if you are unable to send a photo you can do is either get some denture adhesive at the drugstore or some temporary cements at a drugstore. They are all available over the counter and are easy to use. This is a very sticky material.

The most popular cements OTC is DenTek Temparin Max - Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair which is an excellent product.
DENTEMP is very strong and Recapit No Mix Cement, Maximum Strength, 1 g. also by Dentemp are excellent products.

If there is no pain and no sharp edges then you can probably get away without using any cement but be sure to use the other side of your mouth when chewing. Softer foods would better than hard crunchy foods but given you will be on holiday that would be hard to do.

So caution on your part is the best option and you should be ok. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.