Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS

I am going to dentist in the am, but my gum where a root

Customer Question

I am going to dentist in the am, but my gum where a root canal tooth broke is now swollen just appeared today, I took 2 zpak that I had being very worried about the chance of infection before I see the dentist in the am,
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: 6 months, I go regularly and due for another cleaning this month. Yes the gum is swollen in one area. I am seeing him at 9 am, but was so worried that I took the antibiotic tonight
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: A root canal tooth broke off completely about 4 months ago. I did not have a problem with it so thought I would have it checked at my 6 month check up. So the hollow roots are there up in my gum, and it appears all of a sudden there is swelling no pain or fever, and I called right away, he will see me in the am, so I took the antibiotic hoping that it would be a benefit until I see him in the am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.

Taking the antibiotic you had was not a bad thing to do however Z-pak is not a first choice for oral infection. If you aren't allergic to penicillin those provide superior bacterial coverage. Secondly it seems like this tooth is infected and needs to come out along with another course of antibiotics for 5-7 days post extraction. I am glad you are seeing your dentist first thing in the AM - that is a good plan. If infection worsens severely overnight (trouble breathing, mouth opening decreasing, swelling into neck or under tongue) you would have to go to the ER immediately. Please let me know if you have any further questions and if you wouldn't mind to rate my response I would appreciate it :).

Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.

Is the tooth located in your upper or lower jaw?

Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.

Hopefully I answered everything you needed. I would appreciate if you could leave me a rating as thats how I get credit for my answers. Thanks and good luck!

Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.

Anything else I can do for you?