Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS
94852287

I have recently, 3 or 4 days now, had gum pain around my

Customer Question

Hi I have recently, 3 or 4 days now, had gum pain around my lower left wisdom tooth (I'm 48 and have all 4 of my properly erupted wisdom teeth). This tooth has a gold crown on it, the gum pain is behind the tooth, running a bit along the cheek side of the tooth. Looked at it with magnifying mirror and flashlight, can't see anything amiss, gums look all healthy and pink (no redness, which I expected to see). It's most annoying when I eat - is it possible that I've got food trapped between the gum & tooth? That's my best guess for what's wrong, but obviously I'm not sure. I've brushed and flossed and rinsed and that doesn't help. Ibuprofen does help, but I don't like taking drugs unless really necessary. And my dental insurance only allows me to see him for "free" 2 times per year - any more than that and the cost is out of pocket, and I hate to "waste" a visit with him for something so seemingly minor...
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.
this sounds like a periodontal issue. You need to have to tissue assessed. Just because it looks normal doesn't mean there isn't a deep pocket. If this is the case it may require extraction.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.
I understand you not wanting to pay an exam fee but potentially this can lead to a big infection if not addressed in a timely fashion,
Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.
please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. If you wouldn't mind leaving me a rating when all your questions are answered I would appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.

Hi did you figure out a plan for your situation?

Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.

Anything else I can do for you?

Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.

Hopefully I answered everything for you. Please let me know. I would appreciate if you could leave me a rating as that is how I receive credit for my answers. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.

Anything else I can answer for you?