Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

I had a gum drafting surgery 4 days ago. This morning when i

Customer Question

hi, i had a gum drafting surgery 4 days ago. This morning when i tried to bruch my teeth in the healthy area, i noticed a piece of gum covered in blood that was detached, and some of the stitches in the backside were undone.
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: i was advised not to lift my gums so i can''t tell if they are swallen
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: i had a gum drafting last Friday. the draft was taken from the palette. it was swallen over the last four days, with some pain and bruises. the palete seems to be healing ok, but there is a piece of gum (i suspect the draft from the palete) that is partilly detached now. i tried to move it with my tongue back to the gum area, as it was on my tooth. now it's quite painful when i tried to talk.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Is it possible for you to upload a picture of the area that was grafted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, but i don't have a picture. I can try to give you details, if that would help?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

When you move this piece with your tongue,what color is the tissue underneath the flap?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

What area or teeth position is involved?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any current swelling on the gum or under your jaw towards the back angle of your jaw?Is the detached piece pink or is it more whitish in color?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's the root of the 13. I cannot see the colour of the tissue, as i didn't lift the lip any further, but the colour of the detached skin was dark red. I dont think there is any swelling of the gums -- only my cheek is swollen
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Did the swelling just start or were you swollen since the the surgery was done? We have a different system of numbering in the US.I am guessing that this tooth area is on your upper right molar or bicuspid area .Is that correct? Were you placed on any antibiotic?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The swelling was from the first day of the surgery. I was advised to take ibuprofen which i did until now. When my husband contacted the hospital this morning for an appointment for the said reason, the doctor reccommended to take paracetamol too. Yes, the tooth is on the upper right , and i think it's also known as canine tooth.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Without seeing the area myself ,I cannot give you an accurate diagnosis but from your description,this area needs to be looked at ASAP.Free gingival grafts are difficult procedures to do even in the most capable hands and the failure rate is high.Unless the small capillaries of the grafted tissue rejoin to the area of the grafting placement and connective tissue begins to form,the graft will detach.The timing of the placement is also critical.If the stitches have come loose at this point,you have swelling ,the area of the graft is detached and it is dark red,this area needs to be evaluated now.Taking paracetamol will not make this area heal.You should insist on being seen right away.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.
file:///Users/howardkatz/Desktop/Managing%20Patients%20with%20Gingival%20Graft%20Failure%20or%20Loss%20%7C%20jcda.webarchive I am not sure if you can access this site but a more thorough description of you problem may be found here.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Is there any other information that I can help you with??

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

If you have no other questions ,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Have you been able to have your graft evaluated yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, I don't have further questions.