Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

My gums hurt really bad on the right side just on top mainly

Customer Question

My gums hurt really bad on the right side just on top mainly sometimes the bottom but it's making my teeth hurt and hard to eat
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swelling I don't have dental insurance so my last dental appointment was last year
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I brush twice a day now and I'm constantly flossing bc I feel like I got something between my teeth and I use mouth washave
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, sorry you are in so much distress today with your gums. Do you have any pain when eating hot or cold foods or to biting and chewing?

Any swelling? Please let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No swelling really but yes very sensitive
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I added a picture at the bottom of it if that helps

Thanks for the added information. As long as the temperature sensitivity disappears immediately and does not linger then the nerves in the teeth are deemed ok and you issue is just involving the gums. You most likely have a gingivitis which is a localized inflammation (not infection) of the gums. If the gums were swollen and bleeding then you would be dealing with an infectious situation requiring antibiotics, etc. That is the good news. For your issue you can begin by rinsing with warm slat water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. You can also rinse with hydrogen peroxide as well. The feeling of having something between your teeth is indicative of minor swelling and what you really need is a visit to a dentist for a good cleaning to get you back to a healthy situation that you can maintain. Thanks for the photos because it does show just localized inflammation or gingivitis. You may also try to use a water pik device which acts as a lavage and flushes the spaces between the teeth. Given your current problem you would have ti use the water pik under low pressure until the swelling and inflammation have subsided. The water pik will help maintain the health of your gums as well as avoiding cavities in the future. For now use it 2-3 times a day under low pressure and then always be sure to use as the last thing you do before going to sleep. This prevents any debris from remaining over night which ferments and causes gum issues as well as decay. Here are 2 websites with more information if you wish:

Hope this helps! If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.This should help but please try to see a dentist if you cannot return your gums to normal.

Tea oil will not do the job for you but the rinses and other things I mentioned will.

If you have temperature sensitivity that lingers then you would need to see a dentist. If not then try to get yourself healthy again by doing what I suggested. It takes several days to do this so be patient. Gums heal but slowly and try not to over do it with the cleaning, etc.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Omg thank you so much I am going to get started right away I appreciate it so much I pray this helps

It will definitely help. Just be gentle to avoid excessive bleeding. You will know you are getting better when you have less bleeding and less temperature sensitivity. Gingivitis makes the teeth more sensitive by exposing more tooth structure under the gums. This is a real easy fix so try not to worry about it. Good luck and have a great 4th!! If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.