Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I have a tooth that lost it's porcelain onlay 4 months

Customer Question

I have a tooth that lost it's porcelain onlay 4 months ago. I saw a dentist who referred me to an endodontist for a root canal and build up.
The tooth has not bothered me and there are very few of those Drs in my area so I was waiting until I go to LA in a month.
But, now I have a big infection since Friday night. My left face is swollen up to my eye .it is very painful as well of course. I need a prescription for Clindamycin until I can see the dr. Thank you Myrna
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi Myrna, sorry you are in so much distress today. Unfortunately we cannot prescribe from this website but you try calling your dentist who should have a 24 hr emergency number and they can prescribe an antibiotic for you over the phone. If your dentist is unreachable you can go to an urgent care or an emergency room at a hospital near you and they can can give you an RX for an antibiotic. First thing to do now is to begin warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?

Were you able to get an antibiotic?