Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I have a tooth that lost it's porcelain onlay 4 months

Customer Question

I have a tooth that lost it's porcelain onlay 4 months ago. I saw a dentist who referred me to an endodontist for a root canal and build up.
The tooth has not bothered me and there are very few of those Drs in my area so I was waiting until I go to LA in a month.
But, now I have a big infection since Friday night. My left face is swollen up to my eye .it is very painful as well of course. I need a prescription for Clindamycin until I can see the dr. Thank you Myrna
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 10 months ago.

Hi Myrna, sorry you are in so much distress today. Unfortunately we cannot prescribe from this website but you try calling your dentist who should have a 24 hr emergency number and they can prescribe an antibiotic for you over the phone. If your dentist is unreachable you can go to an urgent care or an emergency room at a hospital near you and they can can give you an RX for an antibiotic. First thing to do now is to begin warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?

Were you able to get an antibiotic?