Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a crack in tooth#13. The dentist suggested a root

Customer Question

I have a crack in tooth#13. The dentist suggested a root canal, but research I did online showed that perhaps bonding could help?
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: Yes, I was there today. But I did not discuss bonding.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: The dentist did x-rays and tapped on the tooth. He shone a light on it and said that the small crack on the back of the tooth was slightly larger than 6 months ago. He suggested a root canal to keep it from getting worse.
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: There is no swelling nor any pain in the gums. It does not hurt if I avoid using it. I went to my dentist yesterday and the root canal specialist today.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Bonding is a cosmetic procedure used to improve the appearance of the tooth.It is not a method of restoration that replaces root canal therapy.Root canal therapy is intended for teeth that are infected , dead or have had plural exposure.Signs of a tooth needing root canal therapy would be pain to heat,pain to biting pressure ,swelling in the gum,fistula formation and X-ray evidence of bone loss at the tip of the tooth.A crack in a tooth itself does not warrant root canal therapy.If you do not have the symptoms that were mentioned,it is likely that your case was misdiagnosed.Many patients have hairline cracks in their teeth and cracks like this do not mean that you need root canal therapy.If you had a serious fracture or crack in the tooth,you would most likely not be able to put any pressure on it.Do you have an X-ray of the tooth to upload?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Root canals are not done to keep cracks from getting worse.That is just misinformation.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure if you are still online but I am going to sign off for the night. I will check for your response in the morning .

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Are you still there?