Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS

Recently I had 2 old crowns replaced with new ones - molars,

Customer Question

Recently I had 2 old crowns replaced with new ones - molars, bottom right.
When they put the temporary crowns on I had pain so went in and the Xray showed things looked fine as in probably no root canal necessary; things should clear up when they get the perm crowns on.
Now the permanent crowns are installed and I still have considerable pain in the jaw where the crowns were placed; I think teeth 30 and 31. There's pain in the bone and also I can feel the sensitivity to hot and cold. The pain is like a low grade, persistent pain. There was no pain or sensitivity before all of this began. The old crowns were about 20 years old.
I don't want to see this doctor again. It seems part of the issue regarding the pain was that it took them 3.5 hours the first time and then almost 2 hours the 2nd time putting in the new crowns and now the area is week.
I have TMJ also and wear a mouth guard at nite. I'm upset over this so have been clenching my jaw at nite. Normally, I don't have TMJ issues.
Is it possible that this could all go away on its own? Or should I see another dentist? Thank you,
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
Spontaneous resolution is not impossible but based on your information above it sounds like you need a thorough endodontic evaluation of each tooth that was crowned. Also they need to check closely and be sure there is no excess cement and no open margins on either crown. How long exactly has it been since the final crowns were seated?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 week exactly and now the pain seems to be travelling down my right arm. Please clarify "endodontic evaluation." Does this mean going to a different person e.g. Endodontist? Why am I having trouble now when there was no pain to begin with?
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
Whenever a tooth is prepared for a crown essentially the pulp (nerve) is at risk.Were you having pain like this with the temporary crowns? If the answer to that is no then it is possible the crowns have an open margin or are high in occlusion. If you have had constant pain since the temporary crowns then you will likely require root canal treatment on each tooth (both endodontists and general dentists can perform this through your existing crowns. Before you commit to getting root canals definitely have the crown margins evaluated, excess cement checked for and most importantly the occlusion checked as any one of those three things can lead to symptoms you are describing.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
Please continue to ask questions as needed :)
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.

Anything else I can help you with? If not I would appreciate if you leave me a rating as this is how I get credit for my responses.

Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
I would appreciate if you can leave a rating regarding my service for you. If I can do anything else or answer anything else please let me know :).
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if I can do anything else for you in terms of addressing your question to earn a rating. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.
Hi just curious if you have any updates about your symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. G replied 3 months ago.

Anything else I can do for you?