Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

My 6 year old daughters bottom tooth came in with a yellow

Customer Question

my 6 year old daughters bottom tooth came in with a yellow spot on it. What is it and can it be fixed?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: There is no swelling, she was at the dentist last month, he seems to think that it was some sort of trauma before the tooth came in, like she banged her lip or gum, which is entirely possible. Is there anything we can do?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question today.

Your dentist is correct that the most likely cause of this yellow spot is due from trauma. When a baby tooth is injured and the tooth is pushed into the developing tooth bud below it causes damage that usually result in hypocalcification and discoloration. This does not mean that the tooth is not healthy it just means it was injured and displays a different appearance. The same way that the teeth in adults mouth have different intensities and hues of white. As she matures the color may become less noticeable and if not can be repaired with composites or other types of restorations. But for now it is not necessary to do anything. My daughter who is turning 50 this year had a super white spot on her tooth as a child from an injury and it slowly integrated in appearance over time never requiring any intervention. But as a parent we are always concerned. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?