Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

I had a tooth extraction. while doing the extraction a bit

Customer Question

I had a tooth extraction. while doing the extraction a bit of the jaw bone came out. The dentist placed bone chips in and a teflon screen like material to hold the material in. This was 13 days ago. The gum was stitched and some stitches have come loose. The old gum has receded or fallen off about day 10. Now I am awaiting growth of the new gum to happen. It seems very slow and the original opening seems a little bigger in part. Will this close? I am running scared as to the gums might not be healing right.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The gums look ok as far as color, but I was not prepared for the shrinkage of the older gum. I still get a little pulling around the incision, but it is not painful. Just a different sensation that normal. I am more concerned about the gum growth. Is there anything else I can do to assist this process? The dentist told me it would be about 2 to three months for the bone, but does this refer to the gum too?
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 4 months ago.

If the sutures fell out after 13 days that should be plenty of time for healing to continue to progress normally. As long as the "bone chips" and teflon are not obviously exposed and stayed in place. It is highly unlikely that the material was dislodged after 13 days of healing. The tissue should continue to close and heal and recontour normally. As long as you are comfortable, the healing process is likely proceeding in a healthy manner. Shrinkage of the gum and bone is to be expected - this is normal - although not always aesthetically pleasing.

It would probably be a good idea to let your dentist know, though, as there may be other considerations which he or she is aware of.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would appreciate a positive rating for my effort.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I appreciate you answer. My concern is that I see more of the Teflon strip then before. As the older or cut gum shrank back. It's scary to see so much more of the Teflon piece then before. But every thing looks stable.

If more of the teflon is now exposed, you should definitely call your dentist and at least inform him or her. While unlikely, this may require re-suturing to insure that the gingiva (gum tissue) regrows over the teflon / bone material.

Dr Shernan

Do you need additional information to answer your question ? If not I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort.

Be well,

Dr. Shernan