Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

I have an scheduled root canal coming tuesday. My situation:

Customer Question

I have an scheduled root canal for this coming tuesday. My situation: death tooth #19, no visible crack on X-ray, outer gum part of #19 not attached to tooth (dental probe goes deep when testing gums). Dentist said the tooth might be cracked and I might need an extraction, but we are doing a root canal to see if the tooth is not cracked we can save it. My concern is that I am traveling overseas in 2 weeks where I could get a root canal, in fact I would prefer that, but I am terrified of a tooth pain on the plane during the flight (traveling alone with 4 kids). Currently I have very mild pain, almost a slight discomfort, not even pain. With a death tooth is it possible to have a pain episode on a plane? (the hole is what concerns me most). Another piece of info: just had blood test done, white cell count great, no sign of fighting an infection.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

Is the pain that you are feeling a dull ache or is it a sharp shooting pain?Is the gum sore does the tooth itself feel sore?Do you have any swelling? Is there any evidence of infection on X-ray that you were told about?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dull ache, gum is sore if I touch the outer part, but not much. No swelling, no evidence of infection on X ray. No sensitivity. Can take hot and cold.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

The chances are is that the tooth is not dead but just has a fractured piece of crown.Without seeing an X-ray of the tooth I cannot give you a more accurate answer but from your description,this tooth may just need a filling.There does not seem to be any emergency at this point.If you get close to the time that you are going to fly and are worried about this tooth giving you problems,have your dentist give you a prescription for penicillin before you go to take with you.If this tooth starts to give you problems and it is close to your departure time,you can start the penicillin prior to leaving to hold off any problems during your trip.Flying problems occur sometimes with root canals that are not completed and the pressure change in the plane can cause pain in the unfilled canal.If the root canal is finished on Tuesday,you should have no problems with flying after that.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. G replied 4 months ago.

this is a vertical root fracture if there is a deep probing. no question about it.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If you have any further questions ,Please ask.