Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

I would just like to know if I should be given antibiotics

Customer Question

I would just like to know if I should be given antibiotics after I had a filling put in today? I had a toothache before it was put in and I still have the tooth now once the anasthetic has worn off....
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 4 months ago.
Hi, you do not need an antibiotic unless you have an infection related to the tooth. It is not unusual to have discomfort after a new filling is placed especially if you had symptoms before the visit. If the tooth had sensitivity to temperature before the new filling then you are dealing with a live nerve and no antibiotic is needed. What you can do is take 2 Advil and alternate that with 2 Extra Strength Tylenol every 3-4 hours for the discomfort which could last for 3-5 days. If you continue to have discomfort please call your dentist for a exam to be sure everything is ok. But for now no antibiotic us needed. If you start to swell it have s fever then you would need to get an antibiotic. For now you are ok. Hope this helps. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 4 months ago.

If you listen to that advice you just overdosed. He is suggesting 1000mg of tylenol every 6 hours. This puts you at 4000mg per day and the new advised limit is 3000mg absolute max.

Hi Mat, Dr Seeba is correct. The new protocol is for a max of 3000mg per day of Tylenol. So if you do read this then you should take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.