Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS
94852287

I am getting worried as i have a tooth at the back near my

Customer Question

hello there i am getting worried as i have a tooth at the back near my wisdom teeth and it is all decayed on the side and it has been like that for a while and i am getting concerned as i am getting about of pain in the tooth now and i am scared of going to the dentist as i suffer with anxitey. i am worried that if the tooth is infected then the infection could go into my brain. is that right.and how would i know if the tooth is infected or not?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi Tessa, thanks for posting your question today.

You do not have to worry about the infection going to your brain. It will not and you need worry about that.

One of the ways you can tell if you have an active infection with your tooth is if you are swollen and have a fever. The tooth can be sensitive to biting and chewing and not be infected just inflamed (irritated). If you are sensitive to hot and cold foods then it is not yet infected because you are dealing with a live nerve. However, if you wait to seek treatment the nerve in the tooth could die and then an infection may begin to develop. The sooner you seek help the better off you will be so I suggest you contact your dentist and have an exam and Xray and then you feel better knowing what can be done to save your tooth. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i am worried as all the tooth is decayed on one side. and i find i have having soreness in the jaw on that side as well and its sort of pressure pain..i want to get to the dentist to get it taken out but i am worried as i am very very scared of getting teeth pulled out as i dont like the presure when they are moving the tooth.also i suffer with anxitey and i get into tears when i get teeth pulled as i think that the perussre i feel is pain when getting teeth pulled....
Hi Tessa,
It is still possible that your tooth may not need to be extracted. If it does need to be removed you can see an Oral Surgeon who can use sedation for you as well as anti anxiety meds and that way your anxiety should be controlled because you feel nothing at all and no needed to fear anything about the visit. Hope this helps you feel better about the entire dental procedure. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask. Please remember to rate our conversation so that I get credit for responding. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 5 months ago.

Get IV sedation and have the extraction that way. No memory of the procedure.