Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Had novacaine at dentist on Monday, 2 shots my tongue is

Customer Question

Had novacaine at dentist on Monday
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: 2 shots my tongue is still numb
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Had some filling fixed gave me two shots for the Lower part of mouth my tongue is still numb since monday
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No pain no swelling but numb
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, sorry you are still numb so many days following the procedure. What you are experiencing is quite common with lower jaw injections. The lingual (tongue) nerve is located before the inferior alveolar nerve and when the needle enters the jaw the lingual nerve is the first one that is encountered and many times is touched or scraped when the needle passes by. This can cause immediate pain and instant numbness of the side of the tongue. This will resolve on its own and is not permanent so you need not worry. It does however take time to heal and it does so on its own. Nerves heal very slowly and this could take a week or two or even a month or more to heal. But it will heal. There is no way to tell how long it will be but please try not to worry about it because it will eventually return to normal. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information about your paresthesia (numbness)?