Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner

My 2 year old son fell hard on s face, bruising s guns and

Customer Question

My 2 year old son fell hard on his face, bruising his guns and bleeding from the mouth. It is 2 weeks later now, and all is healed, but it looks like his front teeth are turning black. Please advise.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 4 months ago.

So sorry to hear, but glad he is doing well!

Things will tend to get (sorry) worse as in pain & discomfort for your little man, if you don't in a couple weeks or less, get him to either a General Dentist or Pedodontist for what is called pulpotomies. Either Dentist can do them. Your Son needs the pulpotomies, as the teeth have been traumatized, and blood has entered the teeth where it shouldn't be. Generally, in time, it will cause your Son some discomfort, and likely the teeth will abscess further. (sorry to be the greeter of bad things here)

This is what I'd do: 1) He'll positively need pulpotomies in the involved teeth (think of them as quick/baby tooth root canals). Again, this is need or pain and swelling is coming. He may/may not need anything else. It's essentially up to you and your Son's Mom. I'm referring to 2) SSC (stainless steel crowns with a whitish color on the exterior for esthetics). The esthetics of these SSC,s may be important to parents. But, your Son won't care. He'll lose these teeth around 6-7 years of age anyway, and the esthetics don't bother innocent youth.

The only other alternative, which is plausible, but which I'd not recommend is that the two teeth could to be extracted - but this is almost always NOT NEEDED - but rather an alternative to him receiving the Pulpotomies. Again, you hate understandably to have him get the pulpotomies when he will lose the teeth at 6-7 yrs of age, but if you do nothing - he'll soon begin to once again have pain.

My suggestion: Talk it over with your Son's Mom. Together the two of you can decide what is best. But, he will need the pulpotomies or extractions unfortunately or things will get worse soon. Sorry to give you news undesired...

Dr. Rampton

Sir, if you have any additional concerns or questions, please do not hesitate OK?

* As long as you get the pulpotomies (minimally) things will be fine. The SSC's are a bonus for esthetics - mostly for Mom & Dad to feel better about the little one's teeth for picture taking, etc. SSC's are your call...

Any questions?

Best wishes to you . And of course your Son, then Sir.