Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had a hole In my upper jaw tooth and went temporary crown.

Customer Question

Hi, I had a hole In my upper jaw tooth and went for a temporary crown. Tissue had grown where the hole was, so it had to be removed. It has been 4 days since temporary has been placed and I'm experiencing throbbing jaw pain. It's not sensitive to hot, cold or air. The bite is a a little off. Could this be the reason I'm in pain?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 8 months ago.

Hi, yes it could be. If your bite off that will keep the tooth and the area around the tooth irritated and that will not allow it to heal. Not having sensitivity to hot or cold is good sign but if the nerve has died then you would not experience any symptoms with hot or cold. The first thing I suggest is that tomorrow morning you call your dentist and have hime adjust the bite and pulp test the tooth to see if in fact the nerve in the tooth is still alive. If everything checks out ok then that that means that the nerve in the tooth is just reacting to the trauma of the preparation and gum removal and you should return to normal quickly. But the bite (occlusion) must be adjusted so that you do not keep pounding on the tooth. For now you can take some Advil to control the discomfort. If that does not do it for you then you can alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Hopefully a minor adjustment will take care of it for you. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How is the pulp test done with a temporary crown on? And also before the preparation for the crown, the tooth wasn't sensitive either...

It can be pulp tested by just placing some ice at the CEJ which is close to the root surface and can always be used for the testing. It is the most sensitive area of the tooth. I also assume that the tooth was Xrayed and nothing was found on the Xray to indicate anything was suspicious. You should also note that if the testing is inconclusive that does not mean that the tooth has a dead nerve and any treatment is needed. It would then depend on whether your symptoms subside following the bite adjustment. If it does then you are good to go and need not worry because the dentist will just assume that the prep trauma and tissue removal are the source of your pain. If you do not get relief in a few days then you should not have the permanent crown placed. You must be pain free when that is done. OK? If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?