Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I have a lump inside my tongue towards the tip. I can't see

Customer Question

I have a lump inside my tongue towards the tip. I can't see it but I can feel it with my fingers, it also a little swollen.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No injuries. Just realized I had the lump and a little swelling.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: I can feel the slight swelling by the feel of the tongue on the roof of my mouth. It's about the size of a pea and only painful if I press on it from top to bottom with my fingers.
JA: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of. I am wondering if I should make an appointment with my dentist ASAP or my next appointment is August should I wait till then.?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 6 months ago.

Just saw your question. You mentioned you can't see it, so I'm presumming a photo sent, would not assist us in diagnosing it?

While it is much too much of a broad stroke to blame the cause of the problem you have with an accidental tongue bit, I must say that is my very first and foremost thought. It happens frequently. Many times, even while asleep, when we're unaware of having bitten the tongue. Do you have any more information to shed - with regard to your tongue and it's pain?

Perhaps, you may be best to take Ibuprofen or Tylenol, as needed, and come Monday, see your Dentist for further evaluation - just to be on the safe side. I'll await to hear back more from you - OK?

Dr. Rampton

How long have you had the sore spot? And, might a somewhat sharp tooth be nearby the area?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sharp tooth anywhere near the area . It does not hurt only when I press on it and that is not really much pain. I can feel the lump when it touches the roof of my mouth. It really feels more like a large pimple that is under the skin. I will probably contact my dentist Monday and talk to him and find out if it's necessary for me to come in ASAP or wait until my next appointment in August.

What you are suggesting is likely the best call, especially with no real pain per se. The only exception might be if the lump is brand new, getting larger, or begins to hurt or change colors. These might be valid reasons to go in to your Dentist more quickly. But it sounds like you are "on top of things"!

Lastly, often times, if given a week or so - it may well just GO AWAY!!!

I certainly do wish you the best of luck.

*PS: Please 'do' let me know if I can assist any further - OK?

Customer; please 'do' rate my answer, if you would please! Thanks...

Dr. Rampton