Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I recently had an abscess on the roof of my mouth. Being

Customer Question

Hello. I recently had an abscess on the roof of my mouth. Being stubborn I thought I would try and pop it on my own to release the pain prior to my Dr appointment. When pressing on it I felt what seemed to be a tear. I decided then the pain was to bad and went to the ER. The Dr there lanced it and gave me antibiotics. Now 2 days later i have pus draining from my nose and it has a terrible odor. Is this something I should be concerned with or will it be OK to wait until I complete my antibiotics and see my Dr?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 6 months ago.

Hello Jeff,

From your description, it is likely that the abscess caused a perforation of your palate bone and the pus is entering your sinus and draining through your nose. If this is the case, you will probably require a minor procedure to repair the hole. I would recommend informing your dentist of this now rather than waiting until the completion of the antibiotics. He may well suggest waiting until the infection is resolved to perform the procedure. But informing him now will allow for better planning and timely treatment.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Do you need additional information ?

Dr Shernan