Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I found a black spot on the top part of my left gum above my

Customer Question

Hi. I found a black spot on the top part of my left gum above my tooth!!
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: I found a dark blue/black spot on the top left part of my gum above my tooth. I am concerned.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: It is a little bothersome.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 6 months ago.

Hi, most black/blue spots on the gums near the teeth are either caused by trauma or they are amalgam tattoos caused by old silver fillings called amalgams. In either case they are normal are not a problem and require no treatment.

If you can upload a photo it would help confirm what I believe you are describing:

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't get a good picture. But here they are. The spot is on top of the tooth.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The tooth below the black spot is the "anchor" tooth for a bridge. The whiter tooth is the bridge.

Hi, the pics are good, thanks. You said it was on the gums but it is actually on the root surface of your teeth. This discoloration can be root caries (cavity) which can be repaired or staining caused by foods you eat. Without probing with a dental instrument I cannot be sure. The dentist will see if the dark areas are soft and if so will repair the defect. Since you are symptom free then the problem has not reached the nerves. The nerves are closer to the outside of the teeth on the root surface so please do call your dentist as soon as you can for an exam and treatment. Hope all this makes sense to you? If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have done some research. Some results point to carcinoma. Should I be worried?

Hi, thanks for the added info. The dark spots could also be the metal under the porcelain showing through which is not a problem. But without probing and touching it I cannot tell. When you get gum recession this will uncover and expose the metal which was previously subgingival (under gum tissue). This is NOT carcinoma!!! There is a lot of mis information on the web. Cancer does not develop at the neck of teeth ever. Just call your dentist for an exam and then you will feel better knowing it is nothing to worry about. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay. I feel a bit better. I will call my dentist in the morning. Thank you!

You are very welcome. If you get a chance let me know what your dentist finds. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.