Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

I had a severe cavity back right big tooth, they thought

Customer Question

I had a severe cavity back right big tooth, they thought about root canal, decided to just fill. Tooth seemed smelly when they were working on it, Dentist said that is just how exposed root of tooth smells. I have had other cavities, do not remember it smelling like that. Now I am having jaw pain... it is 6-7 on scale of 1 to 10, 10 being worst pain. Is it an emergency issue? I did floss there a lot tonight... seems sensative on one side of the tooth and if i wiggle tooth is sensative.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi Andrea, a tooth that has a deep cavity does have nerve involvement but most dentist will not initiate a root canal unless the nerve has been exposed during the clean out phase. If you are sensitive to hot and/or cold foods and the discomfort does not go away quickly then the rebound reaction of the nerve is bad and a root canal is needed. If the pain disappears quickly then the nerve is till ok and may heal without requiring a root canal. Flossing a lot will irritate the gums between the teeth and will make the entire area sore. If your tooth is sensitive to biting and chewing the you would need to call your dentist tomorrow and have him check it out. When you try to move your tooth it will hurt after extensive or aggressive flossing because the tissues and bone around the tooth are now inflamed. You can take Advil alone and see if that helps and if not then you can alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. I would see what happens and hopefully it will calm down for you but that could take several days. If the pain continues or gets worse then you do need to call the dentist and have it evaluated for a possible root canal. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?