Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

First of all, I live in France, so if possible, I'd like to

Customer Question

First of all, I live in France, so if possible, I'd like to speak to a French dentist? En francais si necessaire. Anyhow, my problem is that I have just come from my dentist who is putting a crown on my rear upper molar on my right side. Today he was the final fitting. Two problems. First, he chipped the crown whilst fitting it, so he said he would send it back to have them 'put a bit of ceramic on it' ?!!! So he's going to fit me with a chipped and repaired crown? Second, and this is by far more serious, when the crown is in my mouth, my teeth close only on that tooth. That is to say, I have no contact other than on that tooth when my mouth is closed. I told him this, and he said that I was wrong (!!), that the crown is perfectly fitted and that I have full contact everywhere. Using his blue paper things he showed me that there were blue marks on my teeth, which to him, proves that I have full contact. But for me, when I close my mouth, the only tooth that actually closes is that one crown. So then, as I was insistent that this was the case, he started filing down my bottom molar (quite a lot!) in order for the crown to fit. That didn't work. In the end, he was simply insistent that the crown fits, that he is sending it back to get the chip repaired and so next Tuesday I am supposed to go back and get that crown fitted.
Am I out of my mind or should I insist that he is wrong?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 6 months ago.

There are no French speaking dentists on this site to my knowledge but the information is translated for us with great accuracy.You are not out of your mind ,you are absolutely correct.The tooth was either improperly prepared,the impression of the tooth was inaccurate or the lab made an error when constructing the crown.At this point you should insist on a new impression be sent to the lab and have the crown remade or you should find a new dentist.There should be no bite discrepancy whatsoever when the crown is fitted.Sometimes some minor adjustments of the porcelain need to be made but in your case the crown chipping even before it was cemented tells me that there was an error from the beginning.You should insist on a new crown if you trust this dentist and if you don't find a new one that has better skills.Doing crown work takes some special skills.All dentists do not have those skills despite their claims.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 6 months ago.

Can you please rate the answer if you have no further questions so that I can help other customers that are waiting? Thanks