Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD

My 2.5 yr old child fell today and t her mouth. It looks

Customer Question

My 2.5 yr old child fell today and hit her mouth. It looks like she has damaged both of her teeth. I have left a message for her dentist but I'm sure I won't gets response until tomorrow at the earliest. I just don't know whether to do.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 4 months ago.

Hello there,

I would hope and expect that your daughter's dentist would return your call this evening, given the nature of your daughter's issue. But, if not, if your daughter is resting comfortably it would probably be best to wait until the morning and have her seen by her dentist. But she should be seen tomorrow - and her dentist should accommodate you.

Depending on the extent of the damage, her dentist may recommend extraction of the affected teeth (this is unlikely, so do not be overly concerned), or simply making sure that the damage and inflammatory process is minimized so that the surrounding tissues can heal (much more likely). This sort of trauma is frightening for both parent and child. But it is very common - and will not have permanent effect on her dentition.

Dr Shernan.