Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner

My wife is 5 months pregnant. She has a black dot on her

Customer Question

Hi my wife is 5 months pregnant. She has a black dot on her gum. She wears an upper denture. What could it be. She has been pushing the denture up with her tongue. There is a bit of swelling.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 5 months ago.
Without a visual, it's a bit more difficult to say with any total certainty. But my first thought is that it is "likely" an oral hematoma. Often trauma induced, sometimes from dentures, partials, etc. If so, it is NOT in any way harmful to her or the baby. However, a denture may need a bit of adjusting, if such is the cause of the hematoma, and I suspect it is.Two things: 1) Please do "google" oral hematoma, and see if it looks familiar -2) Please feel free to send me a picture, if you can or care to - and I can then be more conclusive - OK? Thanks, ***** ***** me know if you have further concern/s. Dr. Rampton
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear Dr Rampton,Many thanks for your prompt response. I have attached a picture.
Thanks for the 2 pictures. It could just be what I see or (should say) don't see on this end, but from what I do see - there doesn't appear to me to be anything of any magnitude, or anything worthy of being concerned too much. With swelling and dentures, ther is often a need for an adjustment. I've known some brave & bold, who even do it at home. Could. But, if cost is of no concern, your Dentist could make an adjustment in 5 minutes for you (nominal cost).I hope this help you. But the best news, is I don't see anything I'd be overly concerned about. Only the comfort of your wife's gums perhaps with an adjustment...
I hope this helps alleviate the concerns you have about your wife's gum spot and inflammation.