Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I will be on this and steroids do cause bone loss it

Customer Question

I will be on this for life and steroids do cause bone loss it happened after I was on prednisone and they took a bone density scan.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 6 months ago.
Hello there, It is true that prednisone / steroids taken for long periods of time can increase the risk for alveolar (the bone of the teeth sockets), mandibular (jaw) and maxillary (upper jaw) bone. The risk of periodontal disease is therefore higher. The higher the dosage of prednisone, the greater the risk. The risk of compromised oral health from the resulting bone loss can be minimized, however, with excellent oral hygiene and closer monitoring by your dentist. A periodic consult with a periodontist, who specializes in managing the health of the bone and tissues that support your teeth, may be recommended by your general dentist. In general, management of good dental health can be achieved with moderate, chronic use of steroids with good hygiene practices (brushing and flossing)and monitoring by your dental team. Steroid usage can, of course, also increase the risk of osteoporosis beyond the oral cavity.It can affect bone density in the rest of the bones as well. Management of this should be discussed and monitored by your physician.
Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. Be well, Dr Shernan