Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

My tongue is unusually swollen.

Customer Question

My tongue is unusually swollen.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sublingual
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 months ago.
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. Most patients do get concerned noticing bumps or a purplish or bluish areas in the region under the tongue. Such occurrences are completely normal. There are varicose veins (which are normal) in that area called as lingual varices, as well fimbriated folds of tissue that tend to cause such appearances. I know it looks weird, but there is nothing to worry about! If you search for "lingual varices" in Google Images, you will see thousands of photos, looking just like yours. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise. Good Luck ! Regards,Dr. Behere
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What are those 2 swollen things at the base of my tongue?
Hello, That is just normal tissue that looks distended and swollen. Everyone has that appearance when the tongue is raised upwards. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise. Good Luck ! Regards,Dr. Behere
Hello, Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !If you have any further question, do write back! Regards,Dr. Behere