Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

Still having terrible pain -possibly exacerbated by atypical

Customer Question

Still having terrible pain -possibly exacerbated by atypical facial pain. I also experienced trigeminal neuralgia -like pain for several days following root canal and multiple injections - which seems to have calmed down and was hopefully a temporary response to severe inflammation. Obviously, mine is not a straightforward situation that's easy to assess.
Here's my dilemma: Even with a history of periodic atypical facial pain, I've also had many teeth that have genuinely required root canals, but treatment has been frequently delayed for extended periods of time because the tendency on the part of my endodontist is to assume pain in teeth is neuropathic rather than dental, I don't disagree with a cautious approach, but have subsequently suffered long periods of tooth pain before a diagnosis is made and the tooth is finally treated.
I currently have pain that I think I've narrowed down to one or two mandibular teeth - one of which was root canaled within the last two months - and is next to a tooth that was treated two weeks ago, which was the traumatic procedure that we discussed in my previous question.
The pain I'm experiencing has been present to varying degrees for more than six months - and feels like there's pressure in one or the other of these two teeth, and it often throbs - at times badly enough that it wakes me up.
Both teeth in question (lower canine and the premolar next to it) have been root canaled, but neither has been filled (one was done quite some time ago, but because of illness, I was unable to complete). My endodontist (who I respect and trust) feels there's nothing going on with either tooth that could (or should) be causing pain, although one is structurally in bad shape and may not even be restorable. He located only one canal in each of these teeth, and is certain there isn't another canal or vital tissue remaining in either - yet it feels like the pounding, pressure pain is coming from one of these teeth. The pressure is sometimes worse when I bend or strain, and sometimes when I lay down. It's also somewhat responsive to OTC meds, like Ibuprofen, which is usually not the case with neuropathic pain (neither is pressure and throbbing, in my experience),
Any idea what might be causing this pain?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 months ago.
Do you grind or clench your teeth? Are you under a lot of stress? Do you have any swelling or pain to hot cold or biting pressure?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hard to say. I actually posted this to Root Canal Doctor - who has been advising me on this ongoing saga. My situation is so convoluted, rather than starting all over, it might be better to continue with him - especially since he's an endodontist - unless you want to take this on, too....

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 months ago.
I will opt out and let you continue with him.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 months ago.
The site is not giving me the opt out option.Is it possible that you can repost this question and specify Root Canal doctor.You will not be charged again because this is just a duplicate question.I do not know what the problem is with the site /It normally will give us an opt out option but it is not functioning.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I actually did post this to his 'ask me another question' box, but I guess it went to all experts - which is okay, but I thought it might be easier to just continue with him. I will re-post.

Thanks for responding.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 months ago.
That's fine.I wish I could just use the opt out option so that it would automatically repost but it is not working
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Well - I might as well ask you another question: Can sinus issues refer pain to mandibular teeth (and if so, is it limited to molars)? I've come across mixed opinions on this.

Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I have answered on another thread so no need to pay for this one.