LadyDMD
LadyDMD, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Dentist at Chatham Dental Care
94231653

Rough patches in my mouth JA: The Dentist will need to help

Customer Question

Rough patches in my mouth
JA: The Dentist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: No pain really, just rough patches inside my lower lips and cheeks, and it is uncomfortable under my tongue when I move it too much
JA: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: I just had minor surgery with a general anesthetic, but the discomfort under my tongue has been going on for about 10 days
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 1 year ago.
Did you have dental surgery? Please tell me more...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an extraction 8 months ago, then they added more bone material 4 months ago, preparatory to putting in an implant. I first noticed the discomfort under my tongue a couple of weeks ago while eating spicy food, but it persisted and seems to have spread to my cheeks and inner lower lip. My wife an I were wondering about sanitizing the water bottles, water pick and replacing the tooth brushes.
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 1 year ago.
I need to know where this dental surgery occurred in your mouth. Lower left? Upper right? Could you please give me an exact location>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upper left rear
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 1 year ago.
I don't think sanitizing water bottles etc will do anything. This situation may have nothing to do with with the extraction and the added bone. Was your bone a bone graft from your body? Or was it something the Doc had in his office that he used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something added by the dentist
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 1 year ago.
My thoughts on that are different than if it had been a bone graft from your body. The bone graft you received is nothing like the "real"thing. There have been complications with it. It has been known to "travel" though I am not familiar with the consequences being terrible. They do not work like a real bone graft, in fact surgeons I deal with will not use the material used on you. I would advise you to see a reputable oral surgeon and run through this scenario with that person.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rough patches seem like a topical irritation but I can't see an obvious cause
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I'll check it out with my dentist
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 1 year ago.
As you can see, it is not easy to diagnose online. A good dentist can solve what is happening to you. That would be your best direction.