Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I thought I had a canker sore in my mouth on the left lower

Customer Question

I thought I had a canker sore in my mouth on the left lower side below the tooth line (in the deep recess of the that area. I could hardly chew my food as it would hurt. I have a tube of ORAJEL and tried to find the exact area to apply a small amount. I guess I did get some on that sore area, but on further investigation, I discovered upon touching my neck on the outside, below my chin line, I have a lump that is sore to touch. This corresponds to the area inside my mouth. Do I see an MD or a Dentist?
Category: Dental
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 5 months ago.
A Dentist will know exactly how to handle this. What you have is not uncommon and is caused from the "canker sore". The other situation may be a tooth with periapical pathology. Hence, a tooth that may need a root canal therapy. No matter - get to a Dentist and they can handle what you have there!