Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Why do we get tongue sores

Customer Question

Why do we get tongue sores
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. There are a lot of possible causes for tongue sores: - a fungal infection- a nutritional deficiency-a reaction to spicy foodstuff or vinegar- if you grind your teeth at night, you probably push the tongue against the teeth, causing pressure on the tongue from the friction and thus soreness- glossitis (inflammation of the tongue) caused due to a viral infection- Burning Mouth Syndrome due to stress and other psychosomatic factors- oral mucosal conditions like Erosive Lichen Planus The following additional advice is assuming that you currently have tongue sores: For now, start taking multivitamins, particularly folic acid supplements. Do not gargle with Listerine or any such mouthwash. If the soreness persists for more than 2 weeks, see a dentist. If you stay near a dental school, I suggest you visit the Orofacial Pain/Oral Medicine department there .A full assessment is required to eliminate any underlying cause. There is no need to be scared/worry/panic. This is nothing dangerous. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise. Good Luck ! Regards,Dr. Behere
Hello, Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !If you have any further question, do write back! Regards,Dr. Behere