Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Very bad pain in jaw with a marble size lump under my tongue

Customer Question

Very bad pain in jaw with a marble size lump under my tongue that goes all the way under the jaw and into my neck were the pain has been increasing with each hour that passes. So please if you have any idea of what is the cause of all my pain please answer ASAP
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 6 months ago.
Hi, sorry you are having this problem now. If your teeth are not bothering you then most swellings under the tongue directly involve the salivary glands. When a salivary duct becomes blocked your saliva backs up and then you get pain and swelling. Similar to a clog in a water pipe. The Sublingual and/or Submandibular glands are the ones that are involved. Blockages can occur from salivary stones and infections. If it is a stone causing your problem you can try sour candies to increase salivary flow to unblock the ducts. Warm compresses are also helpful. If it is s bacterial infection then antibiotics will be needed. I suggest that if the first 2 options do not help you should call either your dentist or an Oral Surgeon for help.. If they are not available then an urgent care center would be your next option. Please do not wait and let this swelling get out of hand. So if you cannot reach your normal caregivers please do go the urgent care. Hope this at least gives you some direction. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.
Hi, did you need more information?
Hi, are you ok or still in pain?