Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I'm a 30 year old female and had all of my wisdom teeth

Customer Question

I'm a 30 year old female and had all of my wisdom teeth removed when I was a teenager. Every now and again the gum areas where they use to be feel like they're teething. It drives me nuts and the only way to get relief is to chew on something.I had dry sockets, but no other complications. I even just recently had a full set of X-rays taken (not relating to this, but in the same area) and nothing out of the ordinary was mentioned, so I don't think they've somehow started growing back.What in the world could be causing this and how can I treat it?Thanks!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 6 months ago.
Sometimes the upper second molars will super erupt slightly depending on the situation and actually touch the lower gum and irritate it.The other thing that happens is that when the lower wisdom teeth are extracted,it can create a bony defect behind the second molar and act as a food trap causing irritation and inflammation of the gum tissue.Do you ever see any swelling in the area? Do you ever grind or clench your teeth?Do you have X-rays of the area to upload?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?