Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

In short...went to see a dentist about the poor condition of

Customer Question

in short...went to see a dentist about the poor condition of a lower back tooth that had received a root canal and gold crown 15 yrs prior...he said it was a goner and so was the tooth next to it...extract both...we did and he recommended permanent implants but only after he had made some attempts at restoring bone in that area...some bone grafting super gel along with other techniques over a one year leaving the area of the extractions void...the bone grafting was moderately successful with one post staying in place...the other post failed and also during that time other lower teeth became loose/erupting/shifting/drifting....this was chalked up to previous neglect...well now we are 7000 dollars in...no implants and several teeth loose and today in consultation said 15-25 thousand for additional implants...help
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 7 months ago.
Hi, wow, your description of what has happened seems to me very unusual. Are you dealing with just your general dentist with all of this or have there been any Oral Surgeons or Periodontists involved with your story as well??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this is a specialist...periodontist
Patients who advanced periodontal disease often have issues with inadequate bone to support implants. I would sure hate to have you invest in more bone grafting and then implants and then end up with the same results you have just experienced. If I were you I would see another periodontist for a second opinion before going forward and spending a huge amount of money in something that may or may not work. The 2nd opinion may better help you decide if you wish to proceed or cut your losses and go for another option in replacing your dentition. I would also suggest you get an opinion from Prosthodontist who specializes in severe cases like yours and then after these consults you will be better able to decide what to do next. That is what I would do because we are talking about a huge amount of money with no degree given for the possible success of your case especially after the dismal results you have just had. Hope all this makes sense to you? If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating for that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.
Hi, did you need more information?